Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cravings? Yes.

After, "When are you due?" and "What are you having?" the most common question I'm asked is, "So have you had any weird cravings?"

Up until today, I hadn't really felt like I had. Then, one of the attorneys at my office had me order Jimmy John's for lunch break during trial. To clarify, I don't even really like Jimmy John's that much. I mean it's ok - but it's not like...amazing. But for some reason, today, it sent me into a frenzy. I HAD  to have a sandwich.

I was contemplating eating one of the sandwiches we'd ordered. There were five  after all, and wouldn't it be easy to say that they'd just forgotten one? However, even in the face of my craving, I still had a conscience, so I explored other options:

1) Go home and make one (complicated by the drive taking up a third of my 30 minute lunch break)

2) Drive to Jimmy John's and order one (complicated by me being a cheapo)

I went with go home and make one: I left at about 1 minute early to get a head start and made it home in four minutes. I came in the door on a mission, breezing past my happy to see me cat, and I made a delicious, beautiful sandwich.

I wish that I had taken a picture of it, but it didn't last very long. It was the most glorious thing I have ever tasted; comprised of whole wheat bread, mayo, juicy tomato, romaine lettuce, muenster cheese and roast beef (which I heated up to avoid the listeria scare).

It looked something like this:


Ah, that still looks amazing. I scarfed it down while Arna tried to talk to me about something and ended up making comments about how I was reminding him of an animal.

Truth be told, I felt like an animal. If someone stood in front of me with a gun and said they'd shoot me if I ate a sandwich, I would've have taken them out. I was ready to attack to feed. It was really embarrassing.

I had four more minutes until I had to leave for work again when I realized I was still hungry. I needed another. Luckily, my darling husband helped me put one together to take back to work with me. We set up an assembly line, he sliced the tomato and heated up the beef while I stacked on the ingredients just the way I like it and when I got back to work, I ate my second sandwich, filled with joy.

I would have eaten even another when I came home but unfortunately, in the chaos both Arna and I forgot to put it back in the fridge, so the remainders had to be thrown out.

All of this is made funnier by the fact that every wives' tale says that a voracious appetite is indicative of a boy. Yesterday, we found out it's a

No comments:

Post a Comment