Monday, August 8, 2011

Precious Daylight

The town that we currently live in has been without a donut shop for as long as I can remember. Arna and I would often ask townies why there wasn't a Dunkin Donuts or Krispie Kreme or something. To which they'd respond, "there was a 'such and such,' but it closed. Now there are too many bagel places to support a donut shop."

Don't get me wrong, I love a good bagel but bagels are NOT donuts. Not even close and having moved from a town in Kansas no more than a third of our current town's size that was able to support at least four donut shops that I can list off of the top of my head - I was pretty distressed.

Then the other day I saw someone check in on four square to  DAYLIGHT DONUTS on Twitter! I freaked. I hadn't heard there was a donut place and I immediately was filled with joy.

This morning I made my first trip to the store. It is about a ten minute drive but it was well worth it. When I walked in, the sweet, sugary aroma of fried circular bliss filled my nostrils and I felt like I was coming home. I don't know if it was the release from my donut deprevation, or purely pregnancy hormones - whatever it was, I was overcome with some extreme emotion. I just stood there looking at the glass case with a giant grin on my face.

I ordered two and the first one was gone before I'd left the parking lot.

I understand how dangerous this could be so I plan on making it an at the most, weekly indulgence. Maybe every Monday morning? That's a good way to start off one's week I think. And besides, I HAVE to make sure that this store sees sufficient business to stick around. I don't think I can go back to a donutless existence.



1 comment:

  1. This made me chuckle! You are too cute! I'm glad you found a donut place to satisfy your cravings. I'm thinking the rush of emotion from getting your donut was due to your donut deprevation because you were complaining about not having a donut shop in this town since I met you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete